Picture of offices in the City of London

Open Access research that is better understanding work in the global economy...

Strathprints makes available scholarly Open Access content by researchers in the Department of Work, Employment & Organisation based within Strathclyde Business School.

Better understanding the nature of work and labour within the globalised political economy is a focus of the 'Work, Labour & Globalisation Research Group'. This involves researching the effects of new forms of labour, its transnational character and the gendered aspects of contemporary migration. A Scottish perspective is provided by the Scottish Centre for Employment Research (SCER). But the research specialisms of the Department of Work, Employment & Organisation go beyond this to also include front-line service work, leadership, the implications of new technologies at work, regulation of employment relations and workplace innovation.

Explore the Open Access research of the Department of Work, Employment & Organisation. Or explore all of Strathclyde's Open Access research...

Cryopreservation of hepatocytes: the monolayer approach

Stevenson, D.J. and Grant, M.H. and Goldie, E.I. and Connel, G. and Morgan, C. (2002) Cryopreservation of hepatocytes: the monolayer approach. In: RSC-DMG 2002: New Technologies in Drug Discovery, 2002-12-12 - 2002-12-13.

Full text not available in this repository. Request a copy from the Strathclyde author

Abstract

The ability to cryopreserve hepatocytes would be useful both to the pharmaceutical industry and for bioartificial liver support systems. Unfortunately, suspension cryopreservation protocols typically result in low attachment efficiencies of cells upon thawing. To circumvent this problem, we have frozen rat hepatocytes as monolayers on collagen substrates, and attempted to optimise this cryopreservation protocol. A variety of parameters were measured in non-frozen and post-thaw frozen monolayer cultures, including viability, total protein and intracellular reduced glutathione (GSH) concentration, kaempherol glucuronidation, and testosterone hydroxylation. The effect of altering cryopreservation media composition (% of foetal calf serum varying between 0-90%) or freezing (0.4-3.8ºC/min) and thawing rates (26-128ºC/min) on these parameters was investigated. Under optimal conditions, post thaw cryopreserved cells maintained 72±4% viability, 65±4% total protein, 46±8% GSH, 48±8% kaempherol glucuronidation, and 16±11% testosterone hydroxylation of their corresponding non-frozen controls (mean ±SEM, n=3). Cryopreservation of hepatocyte monolayers as opposed to suspensions results in a more representative population of cells, with high viability, function, and recovery rates.