Picture map of Europe with pins indicating European capital cities

Open Access research with a European policy impact...

The Strathprints institutional repository is a digital archive of University of Strathclyde's Open Access research outputs. Strathprints provides access to thousands of Open Access research papers by Strathclyde researchers, including by researchers from the European Policies Research Centre (EPRC).

EPRC is a leading institute in Europe for comparative research on public policy, with a particular focus on regional development policies. Spanning 30 European countries, EPRC research programmes have a strong emphasis on applied research and knowledge exchange, including the provision of policy advice to EU institutions and national and sub-national government authorities throughout Europe.

Explore research outputs by the European Policies Research Centre...

Novel power saving architecture for OCDMA code generation

Osadola, Tolulope and Idris, Siti and Glesk, Ivan (2013) Novel power saving architecture for OCDMA code generation. In: Photonics North 2013, 2013-06-03 - 2013-06-05, Ottawa Congress Centre.

[img]
Preview
Text (Osadola-etal-PN2013-novel-power-saving-architecture-OCDMA-code-generation)
Osadola_etal_PN2013_novel_power_saving_architecture_OCDMA_code_generation.pdf - Accepted Author Manuscript

Download (27kB) | Preview

Abstract

Fiber Bragg grating (FBG) optical reflectors have become used for encoding and decoding optical code division multiple assess (OCDMA) data. We observed that only about 20% of the power that enters into an optical FBG en/decoder is reflected and the remaining 80% is not used in the en/decoding process. We present a novel architecture that will enable both cost and energy efficiency in the process of generating optical CDMA codes. The architecture achieves effective utilization of available optical power. We have been able to achieve power savings of up to 3dB for a 4-user OCDMA system.