Strathprints has a number of policies governing the use and re-use of metadata, data, and content as well as policies for digital preservation, the deposit of content and take down notices. Details of these policies are listed below.
For information describing items in the repository:
- Anyone may access the metadata free of charge.
- The metadata may be re-used in any medium without prior permission for not-for-profit purposes provided the OAI Identifier or a link to the original metadata record are given.
- The metadata must not be re-used in any medium for commercial purposes without formal permission.
For full-text and other full data items:
- Anyone may access full items free of charge.
- Single copies of full items can be:
- reproduced, and displayed or performed in any format or medium
- for personal research or study, educational, or not-for-profit purposes without prior permission or charge.
- Full items must not be sold commercially in any format or medium without formal permission of the copyright holders.
For types of documents and data sets held:
- This is an institutional or departmental repository.
- Strathprints holds all types of materials.
- Papers may include:
- unpublished pre-prints (not peer-reviewed)
- final peer-reviewed manuscripts, also known as Accepted Author Manuscripts (AAM) or "post-prints"
- published versions
- Papers are individually tagged with their peer-review and publication status.
Submission policy for self-archived items
Concerning depositors, quality and copyright:
- Items may only be deposited by accredited members, and academic staff of the institution, or their delegated agents.
- Authors may only submit their own work for archiving.
- The administrator only vets items for the exclusion of spam
- The validity and authenticity of the content of submissions is the sole responsibility of the depositor.
- Items may not be deposited until any publishers' or funders' embargo period has expired.
- Any copyright violations are entirely the responsibility of the authors/depositors.
- If Strathprints receives proof of copyright violation, the relevant item will be removed immediately.
- Items will be retained indefinitely.
- Strathprints will try to ensure continued readability and accessibility.
- Strathprints regularly backs up its files according to current best practice.
- Items may not normally be removed from Strathprints.
- Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:
- Proven copyright violation or plagiarism
- Legal requirements and proven violations
- National security
- Falsified research
- Withdrawn items are not deleted per se, but are removed from public view.
- Identifiers and URLs of withdrawn items are retained indefinitely.
- URLs will continue to point to 'tombstone' citations, to avoid broken links and to retain item histories.
- Changes to deposited documents are not permitted.
- If necessary, an updated version may be deposited.
- In the event of Strathprints being closed down, the database will be transferred to another appropriate archive.
Strathprints notice and takedown policy
Strathprints reserves the right to act, and will act, as expediently as is reasonably possible, to remove illegal or objectionable links from the repository, upon receiving notice or becoming aware of their existence.
Every effort has been made to ensure that nothing in Strathprints infringes UK law and to trace rights owners where relevant. Should you discover any content in Strathprints you believe does infringe any law or rights you may possess, please send details to the Institutional Repository Co-ordinator.
In some cases, despite all attempts, it has been impossible to trace any rights holder. Such persons or their representatives, where they exist, are invited to contact us with evidence to support a claim so an agreement can be reached. In these cases, we will remove any allegedly infringing material from Strathprints until we have completed the necessary investigations. We apologise for any infringement that might occur where such rights owners do not come forward.
It is expected that all users of this system will comply with applicable copyright laws. However, if Strathprints is notified of claimed copyright infringement, or otherwise becomes aware of facts and circumstances from which infringement is apparent, it will respond expeditiously by removing, or disabling access to, the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity.
Under appropriate circumstances, Strathprints may, at its discretion, terminate the accounts of registered users of its system who are repeat infringers.
Disclaimer and liability
The appearance of a link on Strathprints to any other site is for convenience only and does not constitute an endorsement by Strathprints or imply an association with the operators of that linked site.
Linked sites are not under the control of Strathprints and therefore Strathprints is not responsible for and accepts no liability in respect of the contents of the Linked Site or any link contained on a Linked Site, or for any changes or updates to such linked sites.
Strathprints is not responsible for and accepts no liability for webcasting or any other form of transmission received from any linked site.