Picture of flying drone

Award-winning sensor signal processing research at Strathclyde...

The Strathprints institutional repository is a digital archive of University of Strathclyde's Open Access research outputs. Strathprints provides access to thousands of Open Access research papers by University of Strathclyde researchers, including by Strathclyde researchers involved in award-winning research into technology for detecting drones. - but also other internationally significant research from within the Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering.

Strathprints also exposes world leading research from the Faculties of Science, Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences, and from the Strathclyde Business School.

Discover more...

An evaluation of the risk assessment method used by environmental health officers when inspecting food businesses

Mullen, L.A. and Cowden, J.M. and Cowden, D. and Wong, R.Y.P. (2002) An evaluation of the risk assessment method used by environmental health officers when inspecting food businesses. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 12 (3). pp. 255-260. ISSN 0960-3123

Full text not available in this repository. (Request a copy from the Strathclyde author)

Abstract

Two outbreaks of infection with Salmonella enteritidis phage types 5c and 6a occurred in a number of Scottish health board areas between May 2000 and January 2001. A case-control study of food businesses was subsequently carried out to ascertain whether the scores derived from Environmental Health Officers' inspections prior to the outbreaks differed between food businesses where outbreak cases had eaten in the week before the onset of their illness (case food businesses) and neighbouring food businesses at which no outbreak case had eaten (control food businesses). The study showed no significant difference between the scores of case and control food businesses. The results suggest that the inspections were ineffective in identifying those food businesses that are more likely to cause incidents of food poisoning.